Saturday, January 27, 2007

star muffins

With the wind chill hitting in the negative numbers yesterday, Parker and I spent the afternoon indoors and at some point he asked for a muffin. So I pulled out the my new purchase from a recently opened neighborhood thrift store, Housing Works, and we got busy in the kitchen. The New York Times Natural Foods Cookbook from 1971 is packed with some pretty tasty sounding goodies and their recipe for "Fruity & Nutty Tea Loaf" made wonderful muffins in our new star shaped muffin pan. Parker really got into baking this time and was able to recap all of the ingredients to his Dad later that night. Here's the recipe:

1/2 cup blueberries
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2/3 cup sugar
2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup oatmeal
2 lightly beaten eggs
1/3 cup softened butter
1 cup mashed bananas
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup raisins (we also added cranberries)


pre-heat oven to 350*
1) sprinkle blueberries with two tablespoons of flour
2) mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt & oatmeal in on bowl
3) mix together eggs, butter & bananas. Add dry ingredients , stirring until combined.
4) add pecans, raisins ( & cranberries) & blueberries gradually and stir only enough to distribute evenly.
5) if making in a loaf pan - bake 1 hour. we made muffins and baked for 25-30 minutes.
YUM!

I wanted to thank domesticali for the
huge shout out on her site and warm welcome to the world of blogs from all of her friends. Gracias!

3 comments:

Angel Jem said...

Love the star shaped muffins! And, yes, Domesticali sent me. I started blogging this January and it's quite addictive, isn't it? I love looking at my site to see if anybody's come... 'no visitors yet, today' means I feel a little unloved, but when somebody drops by... it's great to meet a new friend!
I love the t shirts, by the way. Did you make the 18 wheeler tyre transporter with felt & sewing, too?

Sally said...

Hi Jenn, Thanks for visiting my blog too. I can see you're going to have a lot of fun on yours - I love looking at crafty people's blogs! Those muffins look delicious too.

Maggie said...

I have GOT to get my hands on a star-shaped muffin tin!